Turmeric milk, also known as golden milk, is a traditional Indian drink that is gaining worldwide popularity. Roasted root vegetables in this golden milk makes for a delicious and nutritious side dish!
4 medium-sized potatoes
1 medium-sided sweet potato
2 large carrots, sliced into two or three segments
2 garlic bulbs, sliced in half horizontally
250ml coconut cream
1 teaspoon finely grated turmeric (half a teaspoon if using ground turmeric)
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
60ml olive oil
2 shallots (or red onions) sliced into rings
2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Make thin crosswise slices in the potatoes (not all the way through).
- Arrange the potatoes, carrots and garlic bulbs in an oven dish so they fit snugly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix the coconut cream, turmeric and ginger and pour the mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover dish with tin foil and bake in the oven for an hour.
- Then remove the foil and roast for about an hour, or until the vegetables are soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. Season to taste with more salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the shallots (or onions) for a few minutes until soft. Sprinkle over the sugar and fry for a few more minutes until it starts to caramelise.
- Top the roasted vegetables with the caramelised onions and serve.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF TURMERIC
Turmeric root powder originates from the Curcuma longa plant, a species of ginger native to Southeast Asia. The curcuminoids within it have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity with a wide variety of uses and benefits. Read more about the health benefits of turmeric